Saturday, May 3, 2008

Memory Lane

As I was reading a blog written by another mom who is an amazing writer, I started thinking back on who I was before April 23, 2008. I was a cheerleader who thought our last football game was the most devastating event in the world. I was a college girl with not a care in the world who stayed up all hours of the night running the roads of Ada singing at the top of my lungs. I was the president of my sorority who had to solve very important matters of the sisterhood. I was a newlywed who went on spur of the moment dates and vacations with my husband. Now I ask myself, "Was that really me?"

The night before I had Gracie I told Chris that we should go out for one last night as non-parents. He said, "What do you do with a woman who is nine months pregnant. I think we already are parents." Can you imagine a mom-to-be out on the town like a bride-to-be. One last night of freedom out like a young bachelorette. It makes me laugh just thinking about waddling around about to pop trying to hold onto to my youth with all I've got inside of me.

Now I feel like someone new. I am someone who can sit for hours memorized by the face of a newborn baby. I am a mommy who jumps up at even a slight whimper and whose stomach aches when I am away from her. I get up at all hours of the night to feed, rock, and change this precious baby. I read her books and talk in silly voices. I pray that she she grows strong and loves others with a servant's heart. I sit and think every minute that these are the best days of my life.

I was made to be Gracie's mommy, but that carefree girl is still very much there inside of me. One day when Gracie is old enough to ride down the road and sing at the top of her lungs...I will teach her all about what it means to be young. I will tell her stories that she won't believe about her mommy. I will tell her stories about her daddy sweeping me off my feet. I will show her the world.

6 comments:

Dr. Erin and Mr. Heath said...

Awww..this almost made me cry! You are such a wonderful mommy. Gracie is one lucky lady. I can't wait to see your beautiful faces again. Hug that baby girl for me!

Melanie said...

You are definitely the most beautiful new mommy I have ever seen! What a glow you and Chris both have in the pictures! Barrett and I are so excited for you guys for everything that is going on. Hang in there while he is gone, I know that was the toughest for me was going it alone when Barrett was out of town. I'm sure there are lots of peeps ready to step in and help at a moments notice. I'm proud of you Rebekah!

Jamie Mullins said...

I am with on the trips down memory lane. But every fun and exciting memory from the past does not hold a candle to the memories we are creating with this beautiful babies God has entrusted to us. You are such a great mommy girl!! I can see you and Gracie together 16 years from now, riding with the top down in a sweet convertible, singing at the top of your lungs...she will LOVE it!!

Oh yes, you are officially on my blogroll now! See you Tuesday.

Andrea said...

first of all, yay for your blog! I had no idea...

and second, you're such a great writer. this post brought tears to my eyes. gracie is going to love having you as a mom... and i'm sure she already does!

i've been thinking of you so much and been out of the loop like crazy with my parents in town. as soon as they're gone, i want to see you and your beautiful new addition :)

coco le'shea said...

i got teary eyed too and you are the best little mommy! i love you! hugs and kisses to gracie too!

Unknown said...

You and Chris really are such wonderful parents. It was great seeing your little family last night, Gracie seems so content. Y'all are doing a great job :)